Did you recently get an invitation to a casino party at a friend’s house? Are you trying to organise one but have no idea what people should wear? This can be tricky. After all, what kind of casino are you reaching for? Do you want a more James Bond theme or a straight-up Las Vegas affair?
Despite what you may think, the two are very different and you could end up with a lot of confusion on the guests’ part if you aren’t clear about what they’re supposed to wear.
Luckily, we’ve compiled a list of potential themes you can go for and what is to be expected from them. There are quite a few, as well, perhaps more than you might think there are
Las Vegas Theme
If you’re going for a more classic Las Vegas theme, your outfits are going to be a tad on the theatrical side. This means that you’re more likely to dress up as characters, who are or were larger than life.
These can be either fictional or real-life figures (though, we all know the best acts come from real life). Here are just a few ideas you can toss around if ever you choose to go for a Las Vegas edge:
- Elvis Presley – The man, the legend, Elvis Presley was a large-than-life individual that had a taste for the theatrics in his performances. In case you’ve been living under a rock since forever, Elvis Presley is a legendary 1950s Rock start that has since taken the world by storm. His outfits are iconic and no matter if you’re male or female you can always dress up as him and instantly be recognised.
- Frank Sinatra – Another musical legend, this time of a much different genre, Frank Sinatra is no less iconic and easily recognisable in his appearance. A trilby and a sharp suit is in order for this little number. Don’t be disappointed when people ask you to sing, though!
- Phantom of the Opera – Perhaps a little less to do with gambling but no less mystifying, Phantom of the Opera creates an air of mystery which could make for some interesting party games, even a little role-play.
- Cirque de Soleil – Nothing is more theatrical than the circus and with the Cirque de Soleil, you have a wide range of options for costumes. From trapeze artists, to ringmasters, to jugglers, it’s a colourful array of costume ideas and can be used to great effect at a Las Vegas themed party.
That’s just one idea on how to throw a casino themed party. What about other themes geared towards gambling?
Alternatively, you could go for a more historical theme with your casino party night. The dress code here is much more variable as gambling has a long history with some notorious figures in it, some favourable, some not.
We recommend you stick to a single general time period, however, so that all your guests can have a sense of comradery through some interesting roleplay. Here are a couple of ideas to get you going:
- The Wild West – A heavily romanticised time in US history, a Wild West theme could produce some pretty interesting cowboy/cowgirl costumes and other Westworld-inspired ideas that immerse guests in a fun evening of playing games. Gambling is very much a staple of the Wild West too, as it was a common thing found in saloons. There’s no reason that even the croupier of the evening couldn’t dress up and help guests enjoy their sessions with blackjack and roulette.
- 1930s Gangsters – From the great Depression era of America comes the 1930s gangster You know the type – the New Yorker underground criminal who wears leather gloves and likes to have pretty women attached to each arm as well as questionable taste in facial hair. This could be another fun idea for a casino theme and the dress code can range from a film noir femme fatale to a film noir jaded detective. You can even assign roles for some dynamic roleplay and/or murder mystery.
So, here are two interesting themes to consider. There’s one more that you should consider. It’s perhaps the most common but it’s nonetheless effective and would (again) make for a fun night in.
James Bond Theme (Casino Royale)
Saw this one coming, didn’t you? Yes, the world’s most famous fictional spy has been the endless source of inspiration around countless casino party themes the world over. This would be the most sensible choice for your evening as most people would have access to what is required to make the costumes for such an evening. The Bond franchise is also full of so many iconic characters that it’s hard to pick just one to dress up as.
But here are a few examples in case you have never seen a single Bond film:
- James Bond Himself – The protagonist of over twenty films, James Bond is the tuxedo-sporting special agent 007 whose charm woos just about every woman he encounters.
- Miss Moneypenny – A secretary at MI6, Miss Moneypenny is probably the one most consistent Bond Girl (aside from Judi Dench as M) who has always possessed an infatuation with the famous spy.
- Blofeld – The most infamous arch nemesis of James Bond, Blofeld is instantly recognisable for his scar and the cat he fondly pets to show his villainy.
- Vesper Lynd – A more recent character, Vesper debuted in 2009’s Casino Royale along with Daniel Craig as Bond. A mysterious and elusive character, she is definitely as impactful as Miss Moneypenny.
- Others – Simply watch any of the classic bond films: from Goldfinger to Thunderball and you will get an idea of who you can dress up as at a James Bond (or Casino Royale) theme. You’re never short on options.
And in case you’re in doubt, just go to the event in a tuxedo or a fancy cocktail dress. That way you’ll easily blend into the kind of crowd James Bond associates himself with.